Tuesday, March 13, 2012

First foods

This is not a post about Jellybean starting solids, although that is right around the corner! Rather, I'm writing today about the big sister helper who likes to share everything with Jellybean. Poor Cbear...the concept of sharing is difficult for her to understand. She is told over and over to share with her sister and friends, except food and drinks! Unfortunately those are the things she is quickest to share with others. As a result, Jellybean has experienced quite a few tastes of things she shouldn't have eaten yet and Cbear may have also inadvertently built up a few of her little buddies' immune systems.

I'm fairly strict about the "no solids before 6 months" rule for babies. At least, that was the plan. Also, we always make Cbear sit in her chair for meal time. My downfall has been that darn snack cup of Cheerios, which she insisted on carrying around for several months like a security blanket (we've finally kicked the habit, thankfully) and getting too relaxed during her afternoon snack, letting her sit on the bench at the table instead of strapped in her booster. As soon as I leave the room to do something, she's off the bench and sharing with Jellybean. The thing that gets me is she KNOWS she's not supposed to feed Jellybean because she runs away if I catch her!

Here are a few of Jellybean's first foods, thanks to big sister. She appears to have no adverse effects, so don't judge me...

1. Cheerios. Several times I've had to dig out those little O's.
2. Graham crackers (The looks on Jellybean's face was priceless...what is this mush?)
3. Whole milk...Jellybean was latched on to that sippy cup like she owned it!
4. Fruit snacks. I just about had a heart attack thinking she would choke but she appeared to really like the flavor and was mad I dug it out of her mouth.
5. Smoothie (I was being lazy and giving Cbear breakfast in a cup with a straw...oops!)

And since everything goes straight into Jellybean's mouth, I suppose I could add that stack of sticky notes and daddy's drill that Cbear gave her...yikes. We really are good parents, I promise...but sometimes are outsmarted by our (almost) two year old. Please tell me we're not alone here!

So, now Cbear is under close supervision or in her booster when eating. But it looks like those efforts were in vain, because I just changed Jellybean's diaper and found...a bit of grass and a small leaf among the stinky contents. That's right...Jellybean found a snack of her own when we were having a picnic last night. Lord help me!

No comments:

Post a Comment