Friday, March 23, 2012

"Green" Smoothies

I'm taking a break this morning from my usual blog fare of kid stories to share a recipe (and procrastinating getting things ready for Cbear's birthday party tomorrow). There's been a lot of talk lately about green smoothies, how healthy they are and a good way to get your greens, detox, etc. Recently I had a conversation with a friend about these smoothie recipes and how people are all, "you can't taste them (the greens) at all!" and we were skeptical (it certainly can't be as good as ice cream, right, friend?! You know who you are. :)) Well, while I still maintain that it's not quite as yummy as ice cream, I made up my own recipe (because, not to brag, but I love smoothies and I'm pretty good at making them) and you can't taste the spinach and it's really delicious and guilt-free. Oh, and my smoothie ended up purple, not green.

half a banana
4 oz Greek yogurt (I used strawberry)
handful of raw spinach (maybe about a cup? I didn't measure)
handful of frozen blueberries
3-5 frozen strawberries
1-2 Tbsp. milled flax seed
milk
orange juice

Add the first six ingredients to your magic bullet (this is what I use, but of course you can use a blender) and then fill almost to top with half milk and half juice. Blend and enjoy!

All right, now I must be off to clean and make cupcakes. :)

1 comment:

  1. Love a green smoothie! I make a delicious peppermint one that you might like:
    1-1.5 large frozen banana (peel before freezing) (I used 1.5 bananas)
    1-1.25 cup non-dairy milk (almond)
    Handful of fresh mint leaves, stems removed
    1-2 handfuls spinach
    1/8-1/4 tsp peppermint extract (optional)
    1-2 tbsp chopped dark chocolate, for garnish

    ReplyDelete