Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Winds of Change...

They're sure a-blowin' around our house.  In January we'll be heading off to jolly old England for eighteen months!  What what?! The husband had a great opportunity with his company and we couldn't turn it down, so now we're scrambling around like chickens with our heads cut off trying to work out details, make appointments, and fill out lots of paperwork (the not-so-fun aspect of all of this).  We're looking forward to being off on our very own adventure (Yay! The fun part!).

I used to be the kind of person who hated change.  If things were going well, why go along and upset that?  I come from a long line of change-resisiters, and coupled with the fact that my family and I are all sentimental saps, well, I wanted things to stay the same as they were in "the good ol' days."

But that's life, right?  Ever-changing.  If things were always the same, life would get boring and stagnant.  And we might not appreciate the good moments when they do come along.

Somehow in the past few months, I find that I have changed.  Maybe it has something to do with the man I married eight and a half years ago.  He embraces change, and I think it's finally starting to rub off on me.  Or perhaps it's the fact that we've moved six times in the course of our marriage, so I've never gotten completely settled somewhere.  Maybe it's becoming a mom, where I'm often in a situation of adapt or perish (okay, that's a tad melodramatic, but you know what I mean). 

Whatever the reason, I find myself itching for change when things have been the same for too long.  It's like a breath of fresh air, invigorating and making me feel alive.  Remind me that I said this when I'm in England in the dead of winter and huddling around my S.A.D. lamp (I've already been browsing for one!  It's cold, wet, and dark there, y'all.) and crying into my hot chocolate.  I know I'll have those moments, but I'm hoping getting to experience the adventure of a lifetime with my favorite people will get me through the sad days (that and Skype. So much Skype.  And visitors, pretty please?). 

This realization about myself, that I actually want to seek out change, has been surprising.  It's not like it sprung from discontentment.  I love our life here.  It's pretty easy and safe (besides doing battle occasionally with two tiny tyrants) and we are surrounded by wonderful family and friends.  However, this desire for England came out of nowhere, and it was on my mind before there was any mention of a job opportunity there.  It just felt like that's where we're supposed to be.  So when the offer came, there wasn't much of a question in my mind as to whether or not I wanted to go.  

Clint and I talked together and prayed about it, and really feel like we've been given a rare gift that not many get to experience.  Sure, it would be easier and more comfortable to stay.  The thought of leaving everyone and everything we've ever known is super scary.  We wonder if it's the right thing for the girls and if they will adapt easily, or if we're in for some rough waters.  Yet, we want to teach them even at their young ages to not miss out on something amazing just because you're afraid.

Our future isn't looking like anything we've imagined, and that is both terrifying and exciting.  Not knowing what will happen is stretching our faith, but we're trusting that God has a plan and future for us.  We're trying (gulp) to have courage and know that he will be with us wherever we go.  We sure hope we're up to the task of experiencing and loving on a completely new culture.  And not being ugly Americans...please, please let's not be the ugly Americans.  Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment