Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Cinderella in Boots and Baby Communication

My two-year-old has style.  So don't say I didn't warn you if you see us around town sometime and she's wearing a puffy blue Cinderella princess dress with cowgirl boots.  I'm just letting her express herself...and boy, is it hilarious to see her preferences unfold.

It all started a couple of weeks ago.  See, I sing silly songs all day long because well, what else am I going to do with my time, and sometimes we have dance parties too (in which we may or may not dance to the ending song from High School Musical or the lively tunes of Flogging Molly, which Cbear calls "jumping music"...we have a wide range of tastes in this house).  Somehow with all this dancing "Twinkle, twinkle, little star" turned into the twirling song, and of course one must wear a skirt when twirling (according to my daughter, anyway).  So for the next week she refused to wear anything but, as she called it, a "twinkle twinkle little skirt".  Understand that this meant she wore the same two skirts all week, because apparently denim doesn't qualify: twinkle twinkle little skirts must be a floral print.

One day I had a brilliant idea.  A friend had given us some dress-up clothes and I hadn't shown them to Cbear yet.  And you should have seen her face when I showed her the Cinderella dress.  Priceless. We put it on and she exclaimed, "I'm a little princess now!  Let's show daddy!"  So she wears her princess dress quite often now and even though I'm not totally into the whole princess thing, it is pretty adorable.  There was almost a meltdown today when she had to go to the bathroom with it on and I wasn't in the room and she sat down and peed on it, but I reassured her the dress would survive and she could wear it again later.

Fast forward to the boots.  We just got some hand-me-downs from my cousin and there were a couple pairs of cowgirl boots in the box.  Cbear was so excited, because daddy and her papas wear cowboy boots and now she had her very own.  Well, it was good-bye sandals and flip-flops in our house and now it's all boots all the time.  Mostly without pants on.  She went to church tonight in jean shorts and boots.  Yep, I'm that mom.  I love it.  I love my little Cinderella in boots, because it totally captures the essence of her personality.  On one hand, she's a little girl who wants to be a princess and dance and show daddy how pretty she is.  But she's also my little tomboy in cowgirl boots who loves to run and jump and play in the dirt.  It's just so her, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

In other news, my Jellybean is becoming quite a cute little monster.  I should probably stop calling her that because Cbear has picked it up, but she bares her teeth and scrunches her nose and snorts and growls, so what would you call her?  She also eats books and stickers.  I don't know why.  She's kind of like Animal from the Muppet Babies, only cuter and more lovableI guess that makes me the legs with the striped tights?

Jelly's as full of life as ever, so expressive, happy almost all the time with a major temper streak if she doesn't get her way.  And the most determined person I've ever met.  If she could turn herself inside out to try and get something she's not supposed to have I think she would.  She's a little ham and loves to be silly and make us laugh.  I can't wait until she starts talking to see what she has to say.

For now, she has discovered her own way of communicating with us.  A while back she started nodding or shaking her head, and I finally realized that she knew what she was doing when I asked her questions!  We did a lot of baby sign with Cbear, but I've been more lazy with that this time around and she doesn't seem very interested anyway, so I'm just going with her chosen form of communication.  Now I purposely ask her yes or no questions just to see her response.  "Jellybean, do you want to go to bed now?" Vehemently shakes her head no.  "Are you done eating, do you want to get down and play?" Excitedly nods.  She also points to things she wants and then looks at the nearest person with eyebrows lifted so high they're about to jump off her head and mouth open expectantly, like why aren't you hopping to it now?  Especially if someone's eating cheese and not sharing with her or if there's a phone or remote out of reach.  I love watching all these new discoveries and can't wait to see what she'll tell me next!

No comments:

Post a Comment