Thursday, August 9, 2012

Summarizing Summer (Heat, Olympics, and new stuff the kids are doing)

I'm not sure what I've been doing all summer, but it seems like I haven't had much time to do anything other than, you know, sustain life in our house.  Sometimes I imagine it like treading water while juggling bowling balls...but anyway, I haven't updated the blog as much as I would like.  I'll try to remember (what day is it, again?) some of the highlights and post them here.

So what's been going on in our lives, you ask?  Well, record-high temps (isn't that every summer in OK?) have limited our activities.  I was about to start channeling my dad and use phrases like hotter than the hubs of Hades, but thankfully a cold front that has the temps only in the high nineties saved us from that.  The girls and I frequented the splash pad for a while, but lately haven't even ventured there.  I'm thankful for two things: air conditioning and the fact that I am not pregnant this summer.

Confession: I've become a bit of an NBC Olympics coverage junkie, what with being cooped up inside so much and all.  I've always loved the Olympics, though (in the summer...winter Olympics are kind of lame in my opinion).  I love the camaraderie between the teammates and cheering for USA! USA!  But my favorite events (swimming, and to a lesser extent, gymnastics) are over and I'm a little depressed about it and having withdrawals.  Boo for having to wait another four years!

CBear is now in a toddler bed.  I know.  But potty-training has actually been going well, now that I'm paying her to pee (It's not as bad as it sounds.  There's a chart and stickers involved, and for every three stickers she gets coins for her piggy bank.  Whatever works, right?!) and she did not like having a wet pull-up on in bed.  So she would take it off and end up peeing all over the sheets every. stinking. nap/bed time.  Now she can get up to go to the bathroom/wander around/pull off her wall decals/take all her clothes out of the drawers/flush some wash cloths down the toilet/go into Jellybean's room and wake her/etc.  It was a little rough at first, but it's much better now.  Today she didn't get up at all after she got in bed for a nap.  Miracle!

Jellybean took a few steps the other day!  It's so funny to watch her wobble on her chubby little legs and she gets so excited about it.  She can also climb up onto the fireplace now, so that's awesome.  She has a bit of a little temper when she doesn't get her way...I'm scared for the future!  She's happy most of the time and just slightly ornery.  And she has six teeth now!  Jellybean doesn't look like a baby anymore, which makes me kind of sad.  But she's still a mama's girl and says my name over and over (she also finally said "Dada!" We heard her in bed over the monitor one night, laying in her crib saying it.) and climbs into my lap whenever I'm near.

I love some of the sweet sister moments I get to witness now.  A few nights ago, I told CBear it was time to say good night to Jellybean, and she got right up in her face.  Lovingly stroking her cheek, she said softly, "I love you Jellybean...oh, you're so beautiful...good night, sister!"  In response, Jellybean smiled sweetly, reached out and tried to pinch the skin off CBear's cheek...hard.  It turned violent quickly with CBear trying to free herself and yelling angrily, "I want to give you a hug!"  Like she really wanted to be nice but Jellybean was interfering.  Ah, sisters.

Summertime has been fun, but we sure are ready for fall around here.  Cooler weather, new routines with fall activities picking back up, and everything that makes autumn AWESOME and my favorite season: pumpkins, hayrides, bonfires, apple cinnamon fragrance and flavors, beautiful colors, and all the holidays coming up involving family and food.  The leaves have started to fall off our neighbor's maple trees into our yard...which could be because they're dying in this drought and heat, but I choose to believe fall is coming early.  CBear was standing under them as the breeze blew the leaves down, armed with a plastic shovel from her sand box yelling, "I catch the leaves!  I got one!"  My feelings exactly, sister.  Fall: Bring. It. On.

No comments:

Post a Comment