Thursday, August 23, 2012

Why Two are Easier than One

I've been thinking about this topic for quite some time...every time one of my friends mentions that they are so exhausted with one child and can't imagine adding another one, how do I do it with two, etc.  So this post is for all the moms of one.  Here is a well-kept secret: Sometimes two are actually easier than one!

Occasionally I have days where I wonder what life would be like if we only had one child.  On the surface, it seems like it would be easier...my attention wouldn't be divided and there would be plenty of mommy to go around, perhaps discipline would be more effective (Right now it's like this: "I'd love to continue this chat, dear daughter, about why we ask nicely and don't throw a fit, but your sister has climbed into the fireplace and is eating a candle.  Excuse me while I dig candle wax from her mouth, and feel free to totally forget everything I just said and continue to whine.") and maybe I wouldn't be so frazzled. 

On the other hand, there are times when Cbear goes to spend the day with her grandparents or Jellybean takes a long nap and I only have one child.  And while I cherish that one-on-one time (Cbear is loving "helping" me cook or asking me to read Fox in Socks for the millionth time, and Jellybean is totally delighted by me hiding behind something and jumping out) but by the time Cbear returns or Jellybean wakes up I'm actually relieved.  Shocking, I know.  But it does get very tiresome being the sole entertainment for someone.  And while I do encourage them to play on their own, sometimes they flat-out refuse and it's really not effective to try and put away dishes while a ten month old has a death grip on your legs.  Also, it wasn't so long ago that I only had Cbear and I remember how lonely the days could be with just one baby that couldn't talk.  So here are five reasons why two kids are actually easier than one:

1. They entertain each other and always have a friend to play with.  This one takes a few months, but once the younger one is out of the tiny baby stage they can actually interact a bit and the older one can be enlisted to help keep an eye on the younger one.  Watch out if they're out of sight and quiet, though...I made this mistake a few months ago.  They may be sliding through a pee puddle, playing in the toilet, or have escaped into the back yard (this all happened within a thirty minute time span...I was ready to be committed that day).

2.  Communication.  Jellybean can't talk much, but when she does I'm sure it will be entertaining.  For now, Cbear jabbers to her and Jellybean responds with hand gestures, random sounds, clapping, and others.  It's really funny to watch and listen. 

3.  Sweet sibling moments.  There is nothing better than seeing your kids hugging or happily playing together.  Of course it has the ability to morph into something like this: C patting J's head lovingly, saying, "good night, Jellybean...you're beautiful...I love you!" and J sweetly smiling and then reaching out to pinch C's face, resulting in screaming and C saying angrily, "I just want a hug!"  I know, I shared this story in the last post, but it really was hilarious to watch C try to be so nice and J wouldn't have it.

4.  You are never bored.  There's no time for that, and there's always something that needs done or someone that needs attention.  So when you actually get time to yourself, there's a list a mile long of things you'd like to do and it's much sweeter to get to do them.  Simple things bring me so much joy now...reading a book, going out with the hubs, even exercising because it's something good just for me.

5.  Twice the love!  You'll get double the hugs, kisses, and "I wuv you"s.  Jellybean can't say that yet but I'm assuming the endless mantra of "Mamamamamamamama" kind of means the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment